Author and Copyrights: Dr Mariappa Babu Baskar @ World Hospital Directory
Causes and treatment of Wrinkles
Causes and treatment of Wrinkles
causes and treatment of wrinkles
As people age, their epidermal cells become less sticky that makes skin noticeably thinner. When skin becomes thinner, the effectiveness of its barrier function decreases and releases moisture instead of locking it in the skin. When this happen, the skin is more prone to dryness and it is likely to lose its ability to repair itself.
When the dermal layer becomes thin, it produces less collagen and elastin fibers. These causes wrinkles and make skin sag.
Aside from the ageing process, sun damage is also linked to wrinkle formation. When skin is exposed to sun for a long period of time, it can result to dryness and it can damage the collagen fibers that protects the skin. In addition, prolonged exposure to sun can cause skin disorder and cancer.
Other factors of wrinkle formation are the following: Poor nutrition, stress, sleep deprivation, excess alcohol or illegal drug consumption, and pollution.
1. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause serious skin damage. Experts recommend the use of hat when on the beach especially between 12nn-2pm. Use of sunscreen and sunglasses is also helpful to avoid wrinkles that might appear around the eyes.
2. Smoking is dangerous to your health. And also to your skin. People who are smoking form wrinkles around their mouth earlier compare to non-smokers. To keep skin healthy, avoid cigarette and smoky places like bars and restaurants.
3. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Excessive alcohol consumption is bad for the skin. Alcohol prevents the body from absorbing vitamins needed to keep the skin healthy.
4. Drink at least 8-12 glasses of water everyday. Water helps in keeping the skin glowing and healthy. It is an effective element in reducing wrinkles, flushing toxins, fat, and other foreign substances out of the body.
5. Use olive oil as much as possible. It makes the skin soft and younger looking.
6. Eat tomatoes and vegetables. These contain nutrients that are proven to make the skin look younger. In addition, fruits, nuts, and beans are also good food for the skin.
7. Resist the urge to sunbathe. Experts agree that although tan makes men and women look sexier, it can pose threat to the skin. Try self-tanner instead. Never use tanning bed or sunlamp.
8. Pamper the skin once in a while by going to spa or sauna. Also, get 8 or more hours of sleep. These can do wonders on the skin in no time.
9. Use moisturizer twice everyday.
Dermatologists are advising people who have few, shallow wrinkles to use moisturizing creams and sunscreen. However, more and more people are looking for more advance technology in erasing the signs of ageing.
Recently, dermatologists responded to people’s request for wrinkle treatment. Botox was introduced that soften wrinkles that are caused by grimacing or squinting. Hyaluronic or collagen acid are injected on the skin to elevate wrinkles.
Another breakthrough is laser treatment to minimize wrinkles. Most common laser treatment is called Carbon Dioxide laser that is designed for deeper wrinkles.
People who have deep, excessive wrinkles resort to face lift. It is a surgical procedure that is both invasive and expensive that produces excellent results.
Wrinkles cannot be avoided but they can be delayed. There is nothing more satisfying than looking younger than one’s age. So, just follow these tips and stay young!