Author and Copyrights: Dr Mariappa Babu Baskar @ World Hospital Directory
How to Fight the Common Cold And Flu
Get to know how to relieve cold and flu using natural ways. Common reasons to catch a cold are staying in cold place for a while, turning on the heater while sleeping, didn't dry your hair after washing it and going to bed in winter season, caught it from someone who had cold.
Article Body: Symptoms of cold & flu
A runny or blocked nose, sore throat, sneezing, cough, headache and mild fever are all signs of the common cold. Flu symptoms are similar but the fever is usually higher, alternating with chills and accompanied by sweating, aches and pain and fatigue.
Why we get cold and flu ?
Many different viruses can cause colds and flu. They are passed on by inhaling infected droplets that have been sneezed or coughed into the air or by touching an area with live infection.
Infection is most likely to occur when immune function is low because of tiredness,stress, poor diet and digestion function , lack of exercise or smoking.
According to Chinese Medicine and naturopathy, susceptibility to colds can be increased by constipation and sluggish bowel function.
Treatments for cold and flu
People spend billions of dollars every year trying to fight off the misery of the common cold.
Want to try something different?
Here are natural ways to knock out a cold or flu using herbal a remedies.
1. Eat plenty of leeks and green onions. These herbs have powerful cold fighting properties.You can eat healthy vegetable soup with leeks or green onions in it. This will make you sweat , but don't take a shower whlie you have fever. Just clean your body with wet towel and change the night clothe and sleep well.
2. Take a large clove of Garlic, peel and keep it in your mouth. Bite down every so-often to release the natural juices. Replace with a new clove every four or five hours. Your cold symptoms should be to gone in twenty four, to forty eight hours.
3. Your nose all stuffed up? Try eating some hot or spicy foods which should open up those blocked nasal passages and you won't have the rebound effect of taking too many nose drops!
4. Not hungry? Try a few minutes of vigorous exercise. The increased oxygen demand of your body will almost certainly cause you to breathe deeper and help open-up your blocsked nasal passages naturally.
5. Chest congestion can be effectively cleared up by breathing a mixture of hot vinegar, or white wine. Breath in the vapors for a few minutes, and you should get relief!
6. Coughs and sore throats can be controlled with several home remedies. A classic requires a large lemon. Start by slowing roasting it until it just splits open. Now take up to half a teaspoon of honey with the juice from the lemon. Repeat at hourly intervals until the cough is under control.
7. Feel better with elderberry - elderberry tea to treat respiratory infections, now scientific evidence suggests that taking a standardized elderberry extract can shorten the length of time you're sick by 50 percent.
8. Soothe a sore throat - Drink a tea made of mucilaginous herbs such as marshmallow or slippery elm, which coat the throat.
9. Stop the cough .- When you can't quit coughing, drink hot ginger tea. Ginger stimulates circulation and helps clear your sinuses and lungs of mucus. You may also get some relief with the natural cough suppressant, bromelain, an enzyme from pineapple.
10. Breathe easier - One of the best ways to open clogged sinus and bronchial passages is to breathe warm steam to which you've added essential oil of eucalyptus.